Housing First is a recovery-oriented approach to homelessness involving moving people who experience homelessness into independent and permanent housing as quickly as possible without preconditions and then providing them with additional services and supports as needed. This approach works best when it helps people nurture supportive relationships and become meaningfully engaged in their communities.
The 5 Major Principles of Housing First:
1) Housing: Immediate access to housing with no readiness conditions
2) Choice: Consumer choice and self-determination
3) Recover: Recovery orientation
4) Support: Individualized and person-driven supports
5) Community: Social and community integration